Friday, August 24, 2012

James Joyce








I like this picture of James Joyce because it has the opening lines of his book A Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man.


I think that Joyce looks like an interesting man to hang out with. In A Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man I got the feeling that Joyce is a sensitive man. He definitely fits the secluded writer stereotype. 

I like that he opens the book with Stephen's father telling him a story. 


I like this quote from A Portrait ;

''I will tell you what I will do and what I will not do. I will not serve that in which I no longer believe, whether it call itself my home, my fatherland, or my church: and I will try to express myself in some mode of life or art as freely as I can and as wholly as I can, using for my defence the only arms I allow myself to use—silence, exile and cunning.'' 

I identify with this quote. I do not believe in religion, and therefore I refuse to celebrate religious holidays such as Christmas. I also will not serve that in which I no longer believe. It is hard to deal with the criticism of my family, but I feel that I have integrity because I stick to my guns.

No comments:

Post a Comment